8 ways to spoil your girlfriend with a massage
Massage is super super easy, and really doesn’t take a lot of effort. If you would like to get the brownie points of massaging your
partner without ending up with sore hands, this is how you do it.
- The easiest way to spoil your girlfriend with a massage is to do a head massage. And make it easy on yourself so you aren’t reaching up and getting sore arms in the process. Ask your partner to either sit in front of you on the floor and massage that way, or alternatively lay their head in your lap and relax while you massage. So how do you do it? There are some easy techniques that they will LOVE. The first is to put the tips of your fingers spread out on the scalp and then firmly and slowly rub the scalp in small circles. Try to keep the pads of your fingers in the one spot when doing this as it will feel better. The key here is to do it slowly, if you rub fast then it will only irritate your partner. Slow down, the slower the better, less is more. After a minute change the positions of your finger tips.
- Feet! Super easy, but remember to keep it firm or it will feel like tickling instead. Rub your knuckles up the inside of the foot, massage the toes, gently massage around the ankle. Use the reflexology thumb walk (see diagram) for the soles of the feet. Just remember to keep it firm and see what she likes! If there is something she really likes, do more of that.
- Calves – if she is on her feet all day, and especially if she wears heels, this is a really great way to massage. Buy a scented massage oil from your chemist (or Ripple does sell massage oils online) or at worst case get some sunflower oil from your supermarket (this makes a great massage oil as long as its fresh). Sit her in a comfortable chair, maybe with a glass of wine, and slowly and firmly massage
her calf muscles. Often just a squeezing motion is a great way to relax these muscles, or even gently rubbing your hands up and down the lower legs.
- Hands – this is the easiest and best part it can be done anywhere! A nice gesture that let her know that she is loved. Gently massage each finger, massage the palm of the hand, and then gently on the back of your hand, rub your thumbs up the centre of each knuckle, starting from the knuckle and moving up towards the body.
- Ears – yep, I know this one sounds weird but most people love it. In a circular direction, start at the lobes and work your way up.
- Arms – does your girlfriend sit in front of a computer for much of the day? Might be that her forearms are really tight. Take your forefinger and thumb, thumb goes down the top of the forearm (starting at the elbow) and fore finger down the bottom, and “strip” the forearm. Use just a little bit of oil but not too much. This feels sensational.
- The all time favourite, the shoulders, neck and upper back. This is usually where people hold tension. Massage firmly the neck, especially down the sides. Use a little bit of oil so you don’t “burn” the skin. Do firm
massage into the shoulder muscles and especially the trapeziums from the neck to the shoulder. If you get your girlfriend to sit in front of you, this will make it easier, and you can use your weight to do the massage, rather than your hands.
- Get a massage yourself and during the massage try to remember some of the things the therapist did that you loved. Or sometimes there are day courses you can do that teach you the basics of massage. All good ways to learn easy techniques to spoil your girlfriend. Alternatively, you can book a couples massage with two therapists at the same time. These don’t have to be expensive, but are a nice way to relax together. Ripple comes to you across Australia on 0438 567 906. More info on different styles of massage and beauty treatments are at Ripple Massage