15 Easy Get In Shape Tips
- Rollerblading, surfing, dog walking? Pick your favourite – Don’t particularly enjoy treadmill running? Give it up. Swimming in the ocean or swinging off trees more your thing? Go for it. Pick stuff that you love doing and do it consistently. You will be more likely to get up and do your exercise first thing, and also more likely to get that positive buzz from doing it.
- Habits are your new best friend – habits make exercising and eating well easy. NASA research has shown that by consistently doing the same one thing every day for 30 days a habit is formed that is easier to maintain. The trick however is to do it every day, skip a day and you go back to the beginning of the 30 day count.
- Try changing just one thing, just one – yep, instead of trying to totally transforming your eating and exercising habits all at once, just try changing one small thing.
When that becomes embedded, then add the next thing. So it might be that you stop drinking diet drinks (which by the way make you fat) and do that for month until it becomes a habit, then tackle the next thing. Slowly, you build sustainable weight loss.
- Grab your bestie – Much harder to not go to the gym when you are organised to go with someone else. Plus it can make the exercising a whole lot more fun. Or take up a team sport where the team relies on you to show up.
- Distraction. I don’t really like working out on the treadmill, but am happy to do it if I have some load rock music on my ipod or my favourite TV show on the TV in front of me. It makes the time go a lot quicker and before long my work out has finished. An added bonus is if my show hasn’t finished yet I will keep working out until it does.
- The heavy lifting – great for women particularly to reduce osteoporosis and to define the body. Weights really shape your body, and even if the scales don’t shift, your body image will, giving you a great confidence boost.
- Call on your tribe. Put up on Facebook, or whichever social medium you use, that you are starting an exercise routine or trying to lose weight, and post up your results or pics or whatever you like on a weekly basis. The positive feedback you will get from your friends will really help keep you motivated and will help you stay accountable.