Grapefruit Essential Oil
If you are feeling a little down, lethargic or even depressed, this is the essential oil for you.
Grapefruit essential oil is one of the most uplifting of essential oils and can be great for making you feel more positive and optimistic.
The oil from grapefruit is also known as stimulating to the lymphatic system and therefore great for a de toxing routine.
The lymphatic system is the one that helps the body eliminate toxins, so if you are switching to healthier lifestyle, perhaps giving up smoking or just eliminating caffeine and alcohol from your diet, grapefruit essential oil can help your body cope with the process.
This oil is also indicated for the treatment of cellulite, obesity and water retention. It has an uplifting and reviving effect which makes it valuable for treating stress, depression and exhaustion.
Grapefruit also is used in a lot of skin preparations as it is gently astringent, opens pores and clears oily complexions. It can be found in our skin oil.
Ripple Beautiful Skin Massage Oil– Perfect for those with problem skin or to make your skin look and feel younger. Great for use on areas with cellulite. Grapefruit, Lime, Geranium and Sandalwood. Large 125ml bottle. $7
Burners and vaporizers
In an oil warmer grapefruit oil can be used for hangovers, headaches, over indulgence, mental exhaustion and depression.
Blended massage oil or in the bath
Grapefruit oil can be used in a blended massage oil, or may be diluted in the bath to assist with cellulite, colds and flu, lack of energy, jet lag, muscle fatigue, overweight, headaches, moodiness and mental and physical tiredness. It can be found in our Skin Massage Oil $9 Add to Shopping Cart
Lotions, creams and washes
Grapefruit essential oil can help to clear a greasy, congested and acne skin, while also helping the tissue get rid of cellulite and drain any excess retained water.
Grapefruit Essential Oil
Grapefruit is a favourite citrus in many households. Also known as Shaddock in many areas of the world (after its first breeder, Captain Shaddock, from Jamaica), the fruit’s scientific name is Citrus Paradisi. The Essential Oil of Grapefruits is also very popular, with a fresh, clean citrusy scent. It is extracted from the fruit’s peel using compression. In this blog, you can read about the benefits of Grapefruit Essential Oil and some ways to use it.
Benefits of Grapefruit Essential Oil
- Antioxidant: Just like the fruit itself, Grapefruit Essential Oil has antioxidant properties. Primarily, it is very rich in vitamin C, which in combination with other
present antioxidants means that the oil can boost your immune system efficiently. It also means it can help combat the degeneration of tissue and premature aging.
- Toxin Removal: One of the best properties of Grapefruit Essential Oil is its ability to work the lymphatic system. By doing so, the oil plays a vital role in removing unwanted and harmful toxins from the body. This means that Grapefruit Essential Oil ensures the healthy functioning of the body’s systems and organs, providing overall enhanced well being.
- Disinfectant: Grapefruit Essential Oil works as a disinfectant as it is antiviral and antimicrobial. This means it can protect the body from infection, and help with conditions like urinary tract infections, stomach disorders, oral infections, skin problems and more.
- Antiseptic: Because the oil is antiseptic, it can be applied to bruises, wounds, cuts, acne, etc., to protect them from becoming septic.
- Hunger Suppressant: Grapefruit Essential Oil can be great and very helpful for controlling appetite and thus aiding weight management. This is because the fruit and its oil are beneficial to the metabolism.
- Stimulant: Another awesome benefit of Grapefruit Essential Oil is that it is a stimulant. This is true for both body and mind, with the oil allowing for activation of the brain, as well as stimulation of bodily functions. It can help the digestive system by stimulating secretion of gastric juices, in addition to also helping the circulatory, lymphatic, and nervous systems and more.
- Antidepressant: Similarly to other citrus oils, Grapefruit Essential Oil is an antidepressant. It has both uplifting and relaxing effects for the mind because of its aroma but also the hormones that it stimulates in the brain. This means that the oil can promote positive emotions and attitudes including hope and relief from symptoms of depression and stress.
- Spiritual Influence: Benefits of Grapefruit Essential Oil can include the spiritual realm as well. As the oil is calming for the mind, it is also cleansing for your aura.
This means you can be more receptive to your inner voice and intuition. Grapefruit Essential Oil can also help the Chakra system, namely the solar plexus, heart and third eye chakras.
How to Use Grapefruit Essential Oil
- Blending Oils: When using Grapefruit Essential Oil you may want to blend it with other oils to gain extra benefits. Other oils that compliment Grapefruit Essential Oil are Lavender, Geranium, Bergamot, Frankincense, Peppermint, Basil, Ylang Ylang, Rosemary and Palma Rosa.
- Methods: Ways you can use Grapefruit Essential Oil include direct inhalation, diffusion or applied directly onto the skin or chakras. Depending on the quality and purity of your oil, it can also be used as a dietary supplement. It is also generally used diluted, but again this depends on your oil.
Popular Uses: A lot of people like to use Grapefruit Essential Oil when they need to concentrate on work or study. This can be done using a variety of the methods discussed above, including through diffusion. It is also commonly used to calm down after work for relaxation by adding several drops to your bath. This is also a great way to treat sore or fatigued muscles, as well as skin irritations. For these latter two, other methods include applying a diluted solution directly onto the desired area.
GRAPEFRUIT ESSENTIAL OIL
Grapefruit Essential Oil is an absolutely magical essential oil we use at Ripple to keep your skin’s natural healthy glow, and leave a gorgeous scent behind. It is extracted from the peel of a grapefruit, meaning it’s perfectly natural and carries a hint of the Caribbean wilderness. Grapefruit oil is known for being light on the skin and senses, with a citrus and tangy aroma to perk you back up after a massage.
Origin of Grapefruit
Grapefruit are actually a hybrid fruit, and a cross between the Jamaican sweet orange and the Indonesian pomelo. Both of these ancestor species were introduced to Barbados from Asia in the 1700s, and the hybrid most likely began naturally after seeds from the different species became crossed or planted close together.
The new breed was first noted in 1750 by a Welsh Reverend named Griffith Hughes, and initially known as “the forbidden fruit”. They didn’t become popular overseas until the late 1800s, when a citrus pioneer named Kimball Chase Atwood started the Atwood Grapefruit Company. Atwood soon possessed the largest grapefruit grove in the world, which later found the first pink grapefruit in 1906.
Most grapefruit trees reach a moderate height of 5-6 metres, but can grow up to three times that size. As with most citrus trees, the leaves are typically large, shiny, and dark green to soak up the sun. The tree sprouts white flowers with four petals, which give way to a large fruit closely resembling an orange.
Unlike an orange, the flesh of a grapefruit can vary wildly in colour and taste. The most common breeds of grapefruit have white, pink, or red pulp inside. Whiter grapefruit tend to be acidic and somewhat sour or bitter, while redder grapefruit can be extremely sweet or tart. The peel of the grapefruit (which is used to extract grapefruit essential oil) mostly shares the aroma of the fruit.
Grapefruit can be eaten whole, as part of a snack (for example, by coating the pulp with a thin layer of sugar to add sweetness…) or used as part of a meal. Costa Ricans sometimes cook their grapefruit to reduce their acidity, or add a sweetened milk confectionary called Dulce de Leche (literally “candy of milk”) to produce a dessert named Toronja Rellena (“stuffed grapefruit”). Grapefruit jam is also incredibly popular, particularly in countries like Haiti.
Benefits of Grapefruit and Grapefruit Oil
As with all Ripple products, we made sure that grapefruit essential oil is good for you! Here are a couple of known benefits of this particular fruit and its oil.
- Revitalisation – Grapefruit’s distinctive aroma is fruity enough to be pleasant, but tangy enough to perk you right back up and leave you full of energy. We always feel much more alert and alive after a good whiff of grapefruit oil!
- Skin Health – Grapefruit oil can be applied to the skin to assist muscle fatigue, skin tone, and acne or overly oily skin. It can also be used as a facial cleanser and treatment for some light skin irritations. Regular massage with a grapefruit essential oil helps keep your skin young and beautiful.
- Medical Properties – Grapefruit juice is sometimes used to help or soothe conditions including high cholesterol, psoriasis, and cancer.
- Antimicrobial Properties – Grapefruit seed extract has strong antimicrobial properties against harmful fungi, and possibly against bacteria as well. An oil that could help your body fight against nasty intruders? Count us in!
- Uplifting Properties – Some find that inhaling the scent of grapefruit can help relieve stress and depression, or even headaches by helping the body retain fluids.
- Moderates Your Nervous System – Several studies note that inhaling some fragrances (notably grapefruit oil) help stimulate pathways in your olfactory system and modulates the activity of your nervous systems.
- Antioxidants – Grapefruit is especially rich in the antioxidant lycopene. Antioxidants help prevent production of free radicals and damaging chain reactions in your cells.
- Natural Goodness – Of course, grapefruit is also packed full of other goodies, including Vitamin C, the fiber pectin, and natural sugars.
- Weight Loss – Some nutritionists believe that grapefruit could help your body’s metabolism build fat due to their extremely low glycemic index (meaning they barely raise your blood sugar levels when consumed). Sounds good to us!
All in all, grapefruit oil can leave you feeling and looking fantastic… and brings a hint of its tropical and Caribbean background to your skin and home. What’s not to love?
Grapefruit Oil Ideas
If you think grapefruit essential oil sounds as yummy as we do, here are four easy tips to help you introduce it into your self-care routine:
- Foot Baths – Add a few drops into a large bowl of warm water and swirl around to mix the oil… then soak your feet in a gorgeous grapefruit foot bath for fifteen minutes!
- Vaporisers, Burners, Spritz – Find ways to amplify grapefruit’s citrus scent around your home! You can use vaporisers or burners to spread the odor generally, or add a few drops of the oil to a large spritz bottle filled with water, and spray it into the air or on your furniture / possessions.
- Grab a Massage – Pamper yourself with a massage from Ripple and request our grapefruit essential oil as part of the treatment!
- Learn More About Essential Oils – Picking the right oil for your skin and needs helps get the most out of your treatment, so read more on our site!
We hope you enjoy using grapefruit essential oil to keep you happy and energized as much as we do!