Do you want to lose weight?
Here are some top tips for not losing weight but refocusing your mind set – changing and challenging what you have always done or thought
- Weight Loss Tip 1. The first tip is knowledge, knowledge is
power. Understand your body and how it works. Losing weight is 80% food and 20% exercise. Read, research from sources that you trust. An understanding of how and why your body and food relate is a good start to a new healthy lifestyle that encourages weight loss.
- Weight Loss Tip 2. Don’t starve yourself. Your body won’t function without enough good nourishment. Like petrol is to your car – food is to your body. Your metabolic rate slows down if there is not enough fuel in your body. Metabolism is the chemical reaction that takes place in your body – converting the fuel in food we consume into energy.
- Weight Loss Tip 3. Eat when you are hungry and avoid snacking. Eat consistently each day, this helps regulate your sugar levels. If we overeat or under eat the blood sugar levels end up all over the place and this can cause, mood swings, irritability and health risks. Some health care people recommend 5 – 6 small meals a day while others suggest 3 solid meals a day and no snacking. All recommend not to over eat. Choose snacks wisely with the only reason to eat a snack is for nutrition and health reasons.
- Weight Loss Tip 4. Protein is one of the main building
blocks in our bodies – protein makes up about 16% of a person’s body weight – as connective tissues, skin, hair and muscle. It is recommended that each meal should include some form of protein. Protein is a great source of fuel and will keep your engines running for hours – snacks or food high in sugar is not able to sustain the same amount of energy as protein, so in a few hours or less you will be tired and hungry again.
- Weight Loss Tip 5. Have you ever thought HOW you eat
your food – are so hungry that you grab something that’s quick and down the hatch – like a quick fix! Plan your meals and menu’s each week. Think about what you are eating and why! Ask yourself how is this going to benefit me? Will it help me? If the answers are no – don’t eat it. Find an alternative choice. Enjoy your meal, chew slowly and meals an event to be relished with family and friends – your food needs to be savoured. If your meal makes you feel overly full, uncomfortable your body will not perform at it’s best.
- Weight Loss Tip 6. Be aware that there is good and bad fats…don’t avoid the good fats. Fats help absorb the protein. The good fats (monounsaturated and polyunsaturated) are good for your heart and cholesterol – they assist with preventing health risks. Bad fats (saturated) increase cholesterol levels and the risk of disease. A point to note that when cutting down on saturated fat you should replace them with healthy choices.
- Weight Loss Tip 7. Dehydration works against weight loss as well as other factors. Without enough hydration your body slows down. Drink water – the old saying “8 glasses a day” is fairly close to t the mark as a minimum requirement each day.
- Weight Loss Tip 8. Sleep or lack of it plays a part in any weight loss regime. Poor sleep affects the hormones leptin and ghrelin. Set your bedroom up to what is the optimal place for you. Quiet, peaceful and warm. Wind down before bed, and if sleep doesn’t come easily try a magnesium bath. Magnesium has a multitude of benefits from relaxation to assisting in muscle fatigue. Magnesium is absorb through the skin much better than taking a capsule.
- Weight Loss Tip 9. Stress and the affects it has on the body is far reaching. One of the major effects stress has on weight gain and loss is the release of Cortisol hormone, this creates inflammation and fat storage around the waistline. Managing your stress and inflammation is imperative to assisting in reducing weight. Take time for yourself whether it be yoga, mediating, exercise, walking, music…..
- Weight Loss Tip 10. In line with the stress is your attitude, your feelings and emotions. We can be our own worst enemy with self doubt, self negative talk – our inner voice can be our biggest critic. Be kind to yourself, don’t allow negativity into your thoughts. We don’t have to be happy at every turn, unhappy or negative feelings can be destructive and in a bid to avoid dealing with those feelings we turn to food. If you don’t deal with your feelings you may struggle to lose weight.
- Weight Loss Tip 11. It may only be 20% of weight loss but
moving, exercise is important. You need to move – you to need to find out what floats your boat… Walk, playing with the kids, walking the dog, dancing. You need to enjoy when you move and then it fits into your lifestyle with ease. Going to the gym, lifting weights all are beneficial but what is it “that your body needs” Back to the research – talk to personal trainer, the local gym, a yoga teacher, marshal art or a dance class. Moving every day is vital to good health and with good health comes healthy weight loss.
- Massage can be a key factor to helping you lose weight.
Massage helps remove toxins from your body, increases your blood flow, increases nutrients reaching your cells, reduces stress and cortisol (the stress hormone) in your body, increases serotonin which regulates your moods, increases dopamine (the feel good neurotransmitter) as well as helping your digestion (stomach massage is sensational for this). Plus you can use it as a reward once you reach your weight loss goals.
- Weight Loss Tip12. It’s not just one thing that will help you lose weight and develop a healthy lifestyle – it’s a combination of your food, sleep, exercise, mental health, hydration, support – one step at a time. Keep a journal of your journey.