Tops tips to make the most of your couples massage.
So you have made the time to book in a couples massage with your partner. Whether you are having this in your home or hotel with two therapists at the same time, or going to a day spa, couples massages are a great way to relax and escape from the world for a little while. Here are some tips to get the most from your massages with your partner.
- Switch off your phone, turn off the computer, put a do not disturb sign on your door. This is your time to relax and retreat from the world so make sure that there is no way for anyone to intrude on that electronically. Do you have trouble with this? Maybe try an electronic detox for the whole day. Get all your work and other phone calls out of the way, answer any urgent emails and then switch everything off. If you need to, leave your phone in the car or somewhere it will be difficult for you reach for it automatically. This way you can give your partner your full attention both before, during and after the massage and make them the only priority for that time.
- Do not book in anything for after your couples massage – yep, seriously, take the whole day off to enjoy the post massage blissed out state. One good thing about having the massage therapists come to you is that you won’t have to wake up and drive or get dressed or go anywhere afterwards. After the massage can be just as important as the actual massage itself as this gives you and your partner time to connect and enjoy being totally relaxed in each others company. Keep that horse ride or sky dive for another day.
- Have a hot shower or bath before hand to not only relax the muscles but to be nice
and clean before the massage. A couples massage with oils is a great way to not only release muscle tension but also to allow the oil to soak into dehydrated skin. After your massage it can be good to leave the oil on your skin for a little while and let it soak in and nourish your body. So have your shower before hand, your body will thank you.
- If you are going to eat before your couples massage, make sure its nice and light. A heavy breakfast of eggs and bacon or lunch of steak and potato will make you feel sluggish and might interfere with the massage. So try to have something light instead.
- Go easy on the alcohol.. its your day off and you are with your partner so naturally you might want to have a glass or two of wine to relax. But keep it to a minimum before your massage. As massage increases the blood flow around your body the effects of one glass of wine are the same as having six glasses of wine. So to prevent you becoming nauseous, try not to drink before your treatment and take it easy afterwards.
Prefer to do the couples massage yourself? Here are some super easy tips if you would like to give your partner a professional styled massage
- Warm the oil and use a professional massage oil or something like sweet almond oil. You can warm the oil by putting the bottle in a warm water bath or a couple of seconds in the microwave.
- Keep all of your palms on the body at the time, try not to pinch the skin, it can hurt!
- Use long strokes up the body
- Ask your partner what feels good (even if their communication is just a groan) and do more of that!
- Slow right down! Doing the massage super slow will give a relaxing energy to your partner and relax them and will feel like the massage is deeper. Doing a fast massage will often only wake them up and may make them tense. Slow your massage to half, then you are still doing it to fast, slow it by another half. Again ask your partner what feels good.
- Make it a full experience .. dim the lights, get some rose petals, burn some relaxing essential oils, really go to the trouble of setting the scene for your partner.
- A massage for your partner is all about them, its not about you. So whilst you might like a certain technique, it might not be your partners favourite. Take the focus off what you like and want and put that focus on your partner. They will love it!
- Put in some pressure. The biggest complaint about most couples massages is that the pressure was too soft. So put in some pressure, use your forearms as well as your fingers if your hands are
- Try not to massage over bone, particularly shoulder blades or spine, it hurts! Try just to keep on the muscle.
- For some basic massage strokes and ideas, you tube it! There are some great simple massage techniques on there that are easy to do.
- Don’t squirt the oil straight onto the body, warm it in your hands first and then apply.
- Have the room nice and warm so your partner does not get cold during the couples massage
- Put on some music that is relaxing, maybe not heavy metal.
- Massaging on the floor with rugs or something soft can be a lot easier or more comfortable.
Ripple massage provides couples massage across Australia. Simply give us a call and we can send two therapists out to you on 0438 567 906