What Your Massage Therapist Really Sees In Your Body
Do you feel self-conscious when you go for your massage?
- If you feel you are carrying too much weight …
Usually we won’t notice. Even if you are very large, what we are thinking is how we can best help you and make you feel comfortable. If you are larger, the only thought that is usually running through our heads is helping you get comfortable on the table, putting you at ease if you are self-conscious and making sure we give you the massage you want.
So if generally you stress about those extra kilos, the hour or two you spend on the massage table is the one place where you can, like Elsa, let it go.
If you are self conscious about your stretch marks ...
Or scars, or cellulite or anything else you perceive as body imperfections. Instead we use these as clues as to what might be going on in the muscles of your body.
So if we see a fresh scar, we may ask you about it, just so that we don’t massage over it, or do more damage to an existing injury. With stretch marks, we may notice these, but perhaps only to use essential oils that can help minimise these.
Many of us are Mums and have similar markings on our bodies under our uniforms, and know that stretch marks are often the signatures our kids leave on our bodies after giving birth.
Does your skin suck up the oil?
If we are using lots of oil, that is a pretty good indication that you are dehydrated and need to drink more water.
You know when your therapist suggests at the end of the massage to drink lots of water? We don’t do that because we are channeling your mother (usually we have kids of our own to nag already) but because we are genuinely concerned for your health and have noticed you need to hydrate.
Also, massage is a really powerful treatment for the body and will naturally move any toxins that are sitting in your lymphatic system. The water will help flush them out. Without it, you may have a headache the next day.
Our job is to make you happy, and a happy client is usually a relaxed one that has allowed us to work our magic.
And a handful of requests
- Don’t be shy about telling us what you would like .. if we are massaging too soft or hard, or if there is an area that you would really love us to spend more time on, let us know. Clairvoyance is not a skill taught at massage school.
- Please don’t call us masseuses or where we work a massage parlour. These terms are usually associated with sex workers *smile*
- On that topic, most of us aren’t sex workers, so if its any sort of “relief” or just a “sensual massage” you are after (and yes we have heard every euphemism) then please go direct to the person who can help you .. look for adult services in the yellow pages or ask your concierge
- Please be reasonably clean (enough said)
- We don’t care if you shave or not. But stubble can hurt our hands so don’t be offended if we don’t massage any parts with stubble a lot.
- Would you show up a for a job interview late and get a good reception? Please be courteous and be there early so we can get you on our table on time, and if you are late, don’t be surprised if we cut your treatment short so we don’t inconvenience our next client.
- Thanks! Our aim is to give you massage or beauty treatment you are after, not the one we want to give. This is not McDonalds, we don’t do set routines. All of our massages are personalised to you. So please let us know during the massage if there is anything you would like changed. Our aim is to make you happy.