Indian Head Massage
The Indian Head massage on the table is included free in all our 2, 3 and 4 hour packages. Or add onto any booking for $60.
Full list of all our spa packages is here or call on 0438 567 906
One Hour Corporate Massage, $110 An Hour (Or $95 an hour for three hours or more)
Where We Found It: Lumbini, India
“All I can remember of Lumbini was the thousands and thousands of prayer flags.
And the incredible sense of peace.
Some were faded, some fresh from the nearby stalls, and all were strung up from the tree under which Buddha was born.
The other thing I remember is my boyfriend blissed out after an Indian Head massage.
Why wasn’t I the one getting the massage?
Well, much to my dismay in India this is a tradition that men get to enjoy at the makeshift barber shops scattered along the pavements. When I say “shop” I mean a mirror strung up on a fence and chair.
So my guinea pig boyfriend got lots of Indian Head massages in Lumbini, Varanasi, Delhi and Orccha (which he ended up getting addicted to) whilst I watched and took lots of notes.
Back here in Oz, anyone can get one from Ripple. Deeply relaxing, it will give you a little piece of the peace I found in Lumbini.” Ali
Indian Head Massage Techniques
Indian head massage, or Champissage (champi is the Hindi word for head massage), is a massage that is based on the ancient healing system of Ayurveda.
Indian head massage focuses on treating the patient using massage techniques on the face, head, neck, upper arms and shoulders. It uses gentle massage strokes on these areas to stimulate the nerves, loosen up tight muscles, and relax superficial tissues.
The belief is that three of the major energy centres of the human body can be found in and around the head. By stimulating these energy centres, Indian head massage helps to maintain the crucial balance of energy within the body, and therefore promotes a sense of well being, and soothes and heals the body both physically and emotionally.
The treatment has been practiced in India for over a thousand years.
Originally it was almost exclusively concerned with massage of the head and hair follicles, to stimulate blood flow to the scalp and thereby nourishing hair roots.
Various herbs, oils and spices with known healing properties were used in the process to relieve a number of common scalp conditions. Over time the practice evolved to incorporate massage of the face, scalp, neck, upper back, shoulders and upper arms.
How is it done?
Indian head massage uses controlled movements and can be done with or without massage oil.
Using massage oils gives the therapist better manipulation and ease of movement of the hands while conducting the various massage strokes and techniques. It can be done either lying down on the table or in seated chair position.
This position allows the therapist to have full access to the head, face, neck, scalp, shoulders, upper arms, and upper back.
What are the benefits?
Physical benefits of Indian Head Massage
- Relieve your muscle tension in the upper body and neck.
- Improve your blood circulation around the head and neck area
- Improve lymphatic drainage from your head and neck
- Do you get headaches and eye strain? A good head massage can help
- It can reduce congestion in your sinuses
- It can stimulate the hair follicles
Psychological benefits of Indian Head Massage
Massage is a form of touch therapy, and is a powerful tool that can produce a wide variety of psychological benefits:
- Smoothing effect on the sensory nerve endings in your skin, resulting in feelings of reassurance
- Relief from depression
- Feelings of rejuvenation
- Clears your energy channels (meridians), therefore balancing your energy centres (chakras) of the body and allowing your body to operate efficiently and optimally
- Reduces stress, mental tension and anxiety
- Revitalises and clears your mind, thereby improving mental concentration and responsiveness
- Relaxes your body, therefore improving the quality of sleep
- Helps to improve your memory
- Feelings of well-being
- Promotes a deep and lasting sense of calm and tranquillity